Open Records Requests

The City Secretary is the Official Records Manager for The City of Stafford. To request records under the Public Information Act, please complete and submit the request form to the City Secretary’s Office by using the links below. Requests for the Stafford Police Department can also be submitted via email Stafford Police Department. All requests can also be submitted in person at Stafford City Hall or the Stafford Police Department.

Texas law gives you the right to access certain government records. All government information is presumed to be available to the public. Several exceptions apply to law enforcement information. Governmental bodies should promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, statutes, family or health codes, or information for which an exception to disclosure has been sought. Fees for open records requests are determined by the Public Information Act. An estimate of the cost will be provided before processing if the charge exceeds $40. Please see the City of Stafford’s Fee Schedule (PDF) for the cost of open records requests.

Rights of Requesters

You have the right to:

  • Prompt access to information that is not confidential or otherwise protected
  • Receive treatment equal to all other requesters, in accordance with ADA requirements
  • Receive certain kinds of information without exceptions, like the voting record of public officials or information related to receipt, expenditure, or estimated need for public funds, and other items
  • Receive a statement of estimated charges, when charges exceed $40, in advance of work being started and the opportunity to negotiate the request if charges are too high
  • Choose whether to inspect the requested information, receive copies of both
  • A waiver or reduction of charges if the governmental body determines that access to information primarily benefits the general public
  • Notice when the governmental body asks the Office of Attorney General for a ruling on whether the information can be withheld under one of the accepted exceptions
  • Lodge a complaint about charges for public records with the Texas Building and Procurement Commission and a complaint related to other possible violations with the county attorney, criminal district attorney, or the Office of the Attorney General

Further inquiries should be made to the Texas Attorney General's Office webpage.